Sunday, December 18, 2005

Ice Storm


While freezing rain and a dusting of snow will not halt the seasoned streets of Chicago or Burley, Idaho for that matter, inclement weather sends Portland in a tailspin. Eric and I tried to finish our Christmas shopping today, and I for one was a bit surprised when the cashier stuffed my blanket in the bag with agitated fervor. “It’s raining freezing rain." Pretty soon you could hear everyone in the mall murmuring about the freezing rain. People in Target on their cell phones, everyone deciding to leave all at once. Soon snow was falling, which brought out extreme obnoxiousness in a number of SUV drivers, some taking the sidewalk in order to avoid having to wait their turn

From Jansen Beach to our home in SE Portland, it took a full 3 hours to get home. It’s all over the news and the insightful weather teams have stated we will have more freezing rain in the morning. I for one relish these cabin fever opportunities, that is, once I am home.

I will not be going to work tomorrow and look forward to hot apple cider and a large heating bill.

0 comments: