Friday, June 16, 2006

I have turned into a myspace addict. I don't know how it happened.



OK, yes I do. I had resisted for so long but then finally caved.

I am amazed at how it has completely transformed teenage social space. My three young sisters are logged in all the time, and I am always interested in exploring their pages, taking a peek into their complex social network 10 times the size of mine. The amount of time they have dedicated to customizing every detail is crazy. They are constantly experimenting with new painful color schemes and changing their profile picure like they should change their socks. Everything is so dramatic. One sister is in love for the first time, and her defining statement is "I love Logan!" My other sister's page is filled with flash animatin with the words "My heartbroken...........1 too many times...." running accross the screen.

Every parent should have a myspace account for this very reason. It's sort of fun to tease the kids into submission using virtual forms of public humilation. Doing so will usually result in removal of pictures.

Compared to these three girls, I was a pretty shy kid growing up. I don't think that I broke out of my shell until later in highschool with thanks to dope. But if I would have had myspace - damn! I think I would have been logged in 24-7 and completely drug free. Either that, or I would have started taking drugs way earlier. Hard to say.

In high school, the internet was something only Max Bonebright seemed to be catching onto. Robin and I would tip toe around this brave new world, sifting through archaic search engines looking for ANYTHING, music, boys in Kansas, whatever. 10 years later, I'm suprised when I meet people who don't have computers...and am somewhat suspicious of them.

1 comments:

Robin said...

I always thought my dad was so behind the times. Little did I know, he was so far behind he was actually ahead. I guess that makes "Pace Yourself" good advice.

I'm personally really fucking glad there was no MySpace when we were in HS. I'm glad I don't have a bunch of evidence of what a dork I was posted on the memory of the internet