Saturday, September 06, 2008

Reminding myself why live music feeds the soul


This last week has kicked concert going into high gear. It seems as I've gotten older, concerts have almost lost their luster. I am very pleased to say that I feel like I'm experiencing some kind of rebirth with my appreciation of live music. Concerts are feeling magical again.

Last Friday I had the pleasure of seeing Bon Iver in concert at the Aladdin. If previous posts haven't clued you in, I am in love with this band. Their sound has such a uniquely haunting quality, and suffice to say I wasn't quite sure how it would translate live...but I was taken aback by what they were able to accomplish.

Let me just say that they had two drummers, and that's a sure fire way to steal this girl's heart. On the album, many tracks increase intensity and the song plays on. At the Aladdin, this build up was absolutely mind blowing. My mind was blown. No joke.

I think my favorite moment had to be during The Wolves (Act 1 & 2) with the help of the audience. Typically I find audience interaction annoying, I came to hear the band after all. This piece of the show was a true exception for me - you could feel the song closing in around you. It was amazing.

Thankfully Eric (being Eric) painstakingly recorded the show and now has this to share with the world: Download it here. Enjoy.

1 comments:

Bonnie said...

Agreed. Bon Iver is amazing. Please thank your husband for emailing it to me. I miss live music!!!!! I'm seeing some great shows coming YOUR way. Wish I could attend with you! I miss you and all those music loving Portlanders.