Thursday, February 02, 2006

Learning to Lose Gracefully


For those of you who don’t know me, I am a sore loser. I am extremely competitive and allow those who are closest to me witness my embarrassing outbursts in all of its embarrassing glory. I am pretty sure I got this from my dad, and both my mother and my husband has confirmed that my suspicion is correct. The good news is I am getting better. I make careful choices and try not to loose control.

Eric is an excellent chess player. He is modest and will say he’s mediocre, which we all know isn’t true. Eric is patient and gracious and tries to accept it when I throw a fit when he wins. I am surprised that he continues to play chess with me since I have been known to toss the board at him afterwards. I was less mature in my early twenties.

A few weekends ago Eric and I stay huddled up inside and had a weekend of wine and chess. I lost every game. Seriously, every game. At one point I was so frustrated and pissed that I reached for the board to throw it to the ground. Instead, I lifted my wrist to shake his hand. Progress.

2 comments:

Robin said...

This cracked me up. This is why I don't play board games where there is strategy involved. Only word games where I know I will win because of my superior language skills. Next time Eric suggests a weekend in with wine & chess, you should sub Scattergories or Boggle for chess. You are competitive, in a good way: openly. Those of us who know you well understand and love this about you. I am inwardly, rottenly competitive. And mostly about stupid things. You know most of those things. That is why you are my best friend and I love you!

Anonymous said...

I fucking rule you in chess.
Bow down.
Love and stuff.
Eric.